Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Working Part-Time Jobs

Wednesday's Assignment

When you're on the job hunt, what's a good way to let others know about your goals and abilities?

One way to make yourself known is to dress the part.

Another is to make a resume.
Here are your tasks:
  1. Role play by yourself and then with a partner: Working Part-Time Jobs
    1. Rewrite the dialogue with your partner, keeping the words in bold.
    2. Publish your new dialogue with audio on your blogs.
    3. Check out your classmates' work, and leave a comment!
  2. Check out this page and take notes.
    1. Compare your notes with a partner, and ask your partner 5 questions from your notes.
    2. Check out your 5 positions from yesterday’s work (Task 3), and identify one to write a resume for.


Ling: Are you still here? I thought you got off at 3:00. 

Yang: I took two shifts. I want more money. 
Ling: But I thought you had another part-time job in the evenings. 
Yang: I normally do, but the restaurant where I work has been cutting back my hours, so I’m trying to pick up as many extra shifts here as I can. 
Ling: And don’t you work at the amusement park on the weekend? 
Yang I do half the year, but it’s winter and the park only keeps a skeleton crew on during these months. In the meantime, I’m working for a temp agency, which gives me short-term assignments. 
Ling: I don’t know how you juggle all these jobs. 
Yang: I have no choice. I have to piece together an income if I want to pay rent. 
Ling: Have you ever thought about going back to school to qualify for other work, something full-time
Yang: Sure, all the time. I’d like a better job, one with benefits and a reliable salary
Ling: What’s stopping you? 
Yang: I have to pay for something called “food,” and I haven’t met my fairy godmother yet! 

No comments:

Post a Comment